Professional counseling/therapy can be helpful for individuals, couples, and families at any time; however, it is especially important during life’s challenging moments. Professional counselors and therapists are equipped to help you navigate relationship chaos and provide the necessary support during life’s challenges. They can help you process your thoughts and feelings, develop new relationship skills, and gain valuable insights into your situation. These are some signs that it may be time to reach out for professional help:
- You and/or the other person feel like you’ve tried everything you can do in your power to solve the situation, but you don’t see any progress.
- You’ve noticed unhealthy or unsafe relationship behaviors creeping into your relationship. (Note: Any form of physical, emotional, and/or sexual abuse or violence should be taken very seriously in a relationship. In relationships in which any form of violence is present, couples counseling is not recommended due to safety reasons. Individual counseling can provide support for the victim/survivor, and a domestic violence perpetrator intervention is recommended for anyone who uses abusive behaviors in the context of a relationship.)
- You’ve developed mental health symptoms, such as anxiety or depressive symptoms, especially if they become more severe and frequent.
- You’re failing to take care of yourself, such as by eating a nutritious diet or getting a healthy amount of sleep.
- Thoughts of your relationship problems feel like they’re taking over your mind. You find yourself distracted and unable to focus on your work or other responsibilities.
- You feel overwhelmed by the situation and confused about what to do.
As you consider seeking professional help during life struggles and relationship chaos, keep the following affirmation in mind: “It’s a sign of strength to have the courage to seek the help I need.”
The information in today’s blog was adapted from one of our earlier series, “In the Midst of Relationship Chaos.” To see the original post, check out the following link: https://www.guilfordhri.org/in-the-midst-of-relationship-chaos-step-8-know-when-to-seek-professional-help/